Do YOU think that everybody is a Data Steward? And what impact does that have on your DG program?

Robert S Seiner

Do YOU think that everybody is a Data Steward? And what impact does that have on your DG program?

William McKnight

RE: Do YOU think that everybody is a Data Steward? And what impact does that have on your DG program?
(in response to Robert S Seiner)

Everyone in the organization should understand the importance of data and "steward" it accordingly. However, in the way I use Data Steward, it's an assignment that carries specific responsibilities to the data team. I don't want everyone to be one. I need the person or small group to turn to for what I need to build the data layer for that subject area.

Merrill Albert

RE: Do YOU think that everybody is a Data Steward? And what impact does that have on your DG program?

I think everyone's a Data Steward from the standpoint that we should all be good stewards of the data, where "steward" is an actual English word.  But, if you call everyone a Data Steward, it loses its meaning.  I only use that title if a client really wants it.  Otherwise, I'm in favour of building a data lifestyle and embedding stewardship tasks into people's everyday jobs.

Benjamin Simonneau

Hello Robert,

Actually, in France, a few people can be or should be data steward. This function must come with activities and responsibilities. So, data stewardship for everyone is not convenient.

We prefer data champions for that. It's a recent term to define all people who can be sensible of data.

Regards,

Benjamin Simonneau

Philip Christo Pretorius

Hello Robert

I think it is important first to agree on a definition of Data Stewardship and a Data Steward. This definition will answer your question. I'm using the following definitions, created by a guy called Robert S. Seiner ... :)

Data Stewardship is the Formalization of Accountability over the Management of Data and Data-Related Resources.

A Data Steward is a person that is formally held accountable for their relationship to the data they define, produce and use.

(Robert S. Seiner, 2020)

That last few words is the answer to the question "... define, produce and use."

Regards