Data Quality Policy for an Insurance company.

Rishi Maharaj

Data Quality Policy for an Insurance company.

Doing a Data Quality Policy for an Insurance company's Data Governance Program. Any examples I can follow would be really helpful. 

William McKnight

RE: Data Quality Policy for an Insurance company.
(in response to Rishi Maharaj)

What kind of system are you building it for, or is it rules for across the company? Do you have to consider feasibility and put them on a roadmap? Clearly, you'll be considering the current state of data quality. I would divide into subjects (customers, policies, etc.) and talk to SMEs about gaps and expectations about data that is being missed. Then profile the data to more specifically see the gaps and come up with solutions. You may find that the SMEs have different ideas about how the data should look.

Alissa Schneider

RE: Data Quality Policy for an Insurance company.
(in response to Rishi Maharaj)

I agree that profiling is an incredibly helpful (and too often overlooked) exercise that can be very informative and provide much needed insight before an official policy is put on paper. Understanding what problems the data has and what is most critical to correct can help inform the policy. The policy usually takes into account the standard dimensions of DQ (visit www.dimensionsofdataquality.com) and is focused on either all or a subset of what your organization believes to be most critical to govern. I recommend engaging Data Owners to help provide input on the "heart" of the policy. This will help with adoption and roll-out. Also for examples, many universities make their policies public on the web. You can simple google "data quality policy, university" and find a handful of examples.