Data Management 101

Gail McAuliffe, M.Sc. CDMP

Data Management 101

Hello all. I'm updating the Data Management Home Page (Intranet) for my organization and I'm looking for ideas of how to succinctly, in plain language, explain the benefits of DM. Actually, I'd prefer graphics to text.

Does anyone have ideas about how to simply explain DM and get people interested?

Thanks very much.

William McKnight

RE: Data Management 101
(in response to Gail McAuliffe, M.Sc. CDMP)

I'd think about it in terms of how the reader can get involved and improved their job. 

So, I can see putting up what's been done (i.e., what data is in the warehouse) and how they can use the data (i.e., get a license to Looker, take training, etc.). Also say what's on the roadmap and how they can influence that (i..e, you have weekly program governance meetings attended by ...). Definitely put some of the value-add your team does for data and the value for data quality, modeling, etc. that you provide.

Oh, and put a group picture (or a collage these days) of the team up there to humanize it.

ThRE: Data Management 101
(in response to William McKnight)

Thanks very much Bill. These are helpful suggestions.

Gail

Leni Oman

RE: Data Management 101
(in response to Gail McAuliffe, M.Sc. CDMP)

I saw a presentation by Kraft Foods several years ago in which they shared information about a resource they provided called "What to Put Where".  The page included icons for each of the their repositories. Click on an icon and you are sent to a page that describes the repository, the type of data that should be stored there, what should NOT be stored there, and who to contact if they needed assistance. I'm interested in trying that in our organization as we update our Intranet.

It doesn't explain DM but it provides a useful resource for employees.

Data Management 101
(in response to Leni Oman)
Thanks Leni

On Fri, May 22, 2020, 4:03 PM Leni Oman <
[login to unmask email]> wrote:

> I saw a presentation by Kraft Foods several years ago in which they shared
> information about a resource they provided called "What to Put Where". The
> page included icons for each of the their repositories. Click on an icon
> and you are sent to a page that describes the repository, the type of data
> that should be stored there, what should NOT be stored there, and who to
> contact if they needed assistance. I'm interested in trying that in our
> organization as we update our Intranet.
>
> It doesn't explain DM but it provides a useful resource for employees.
>
> -----End Original Message-----
>