New to IBM Infosphere Data Architect

Glenn Morrison, Jr

We were evaluating ErWin and ER-Studio, but our company purchased this and gave it us with no training - ultimate on the job self training....

Is anyone else using this tool? 

Going from Enterprise Architect (Sparx).

George Edward Davies

RE: New to IBM Infosphere Data Architect
(in response to Glenn Morrison, Jr)

MY organisation uses IDA.  What sort of information are you looking for?  general questions or best practises or something else?  some background on your modelling expertise and the platforms you intend to model for would be helpful.

Glenn Morrison, Jr

(in response to George Edward Davies)
Thank you for responding. I have 10 years data modeling experience, using ErWin first then Sparx Data Architect.

We have been requesting some support from IBM, but with the current environment, that hasn’t happened yet.

Our main question is about a shared repository – we currently have the models on each pc in a stand alone fashion. We have tried to search through the help screens, but I can’t really find that subject.

Once again, thanks for responding!

From: George Edward Davies [mailto:[login to unmask email]
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2020 3:50 AM
To: [login to unmask email]
Subject: [Data Modeling] - RE: New to IBM Infosphere Data Architect

MY organisation uses IDA. What sort of information are you looking for? general questions or best practises or something else? some background on your modelling expertise and the platforms you intend to model for would be helpful.

-----End Original Message-----

George Edward Davies

RE: New to IBM Infosphere Data Architect
(in response to Glenn Morrison, Jr)

By default Eclipse IDA supports Clearcase as repository. We use SubVersion as our repository for sharing models, this needs a plugin, we use SubClipse.  9.1.4 of IDA supports Git, again a plugin will be necessary.  In theory IBM infosphere information server should provide some ability to share models,  but  I don’t have any direct experience of that suite of products. 

Collaborative working is NOT possible on a single model file.  There are various techniques documented for Logical modelling.  But these because of linking across models mean care needs to be taken to have all needed models (.LDM or .PDM) in the project  locked BEFORE changes are made, otherwise links will break and models can become corrupt.  

There are some options within IDA for defining domain models, glossary models, and mapping models.  BIRT Reporting is clunky. Web publishing looks really old fashioned )in three panel frames), which do not operate intuitively. 

JDBC connectivity for reverse engineering and data analysis works reasonably well.

Enusre that you have all the latest patches installed as support for Oracle, PostgresQL and newer versions of all database platforms is patchy otherwise.

Hope this is helpful.