Can someone share a good example of a business glossary entry? Thanks

Todd Sorrell

Alissa Schneider

RE: Can someone share a good example of a business glossary entry? Thanks
(in response to Todd Sorrell)

I recently ran across this blog post which has a great example using SSN and how the definition would vary between a business glossary, data dictionary, and data catalog: http://03cd0a8.netsolhost.com/wordpress/?p=303

Attachments

• SSN Definition Example.png (35.5k)

Ray Diaz, CBIP, CDP, CSM, ICP-ATF

(in response to Alissa Schneider)

Alissa, How about this one:

HR Open Standards HR-XML Canonical Data Model

• Business Glossary Term

• PersonLegalID  An identifier issued to a person by a government organization. For example, a Social Insurance Number or Driver's License Number.

• Social Security Number

Data Element Specification

Data Domain Human Resources

System of Record xxxxxx

Glossary Term PersonLegalID

Glossary Definition An identifier issued to a person by a government organization. For example, a Social Insurance Number or Driver's License Number.

Organizational Usage

·         Social Security Number (SSN) = USA

·         Social Insurance Number (SIN) = CAN

Data Group Classification Personal

Critical Data Element (CDE) True

Philip Christo Pretorius

(in response to Todd Sorrell)

Hi, this was a webcast a few weeks back on Dataversity and might help you to reach out to the presenters.

https://youtu.be/5TewP-Le1Es

Regards

Vijay Mohan

(in response to Alissa Schneider)

wow this is a brilliant example

Alissa Schneider

(in response to Ray Diaz, CBIP, CDP, CSM, ICP-ATF)

I'm not intimately familiar with HR Open Standards, so I'll comment from the point of view of someone that has implemented and run large data transformation projects of all types in all industries for over a decade. What strikes me as a bit odd in the example you shared is that "PersonLegalID" is all one word, with camel casing. My thinking is that when we as data professionals use the term "Business Glossary", that refers to documentation (or an app) of some kind that is for the business and should be business friendly - meaning we would never populate it with terminology that is not proper English. Muliple words, strung together via CamelCase is what I would expect to see in a (technical-focused) Data Dictionary. Populating a Business Glossary is an art and there are choices. For example, one organization might consider having separate entries for SSN, SIN, EIN, Taxpayer ID, etc. This is because each one of these is unique in its application. The glossary might relate all these terms together through a domain/classification of some sort (e.g. Personal, Customer, etc.).  At an application level, the database might simply have a field called PersonLegalID and then a type identifier to determine if it's a SSN, EIN, etc. This would be documented through a Data Dictionary. Pulling the Data Dictionary and Business Glossary together is where our Data Catalogs now come into the picture. Ultimately, it all depends on what you are trying to achieve, your unique audience, and how all the pieces fit together (glossary, dictionary, catalog, etc.). The end goal is enhanced communication, knowledge management, and something the organization will WANT to leverage and use.