Looking to start a Corporate Library. What are you favorite books on Data Management, Data Architect

Scott Benson

Looking to start a Corporate Library. What are you favorite books on Data Management, Data Architect

Chan Beauvais

RE: Looking to start a Corporate Library. What are you favorite books on Data Management, Data Architect
(in response to Scott Benson)

My starter kit book is  Database Design for Mere Mortals by Michael Hernandez

I also keep Ralph Kimball's Data Warehouse Toolkit and other Kimball references

Although it's not specifically about Data Architecture, Business Architecture by Ulrich and McWhorter is a gem.

The DM-BoK is also a must have, and READ.

Hope this helps, IMHO only!

Edited By:
Chan Beauvais[All DATAVERSITY Members] @ Feb 28, 2020 - 08:54 AM (America/Pacific)
Chan Beauvais[All DATAVERSITY Members] @ Feb 28, 2020 - 08:54 AM (America/Pacific)

Scott Benson

RE: Looking to start a Corporate Library. What are you favorite books on Data Management, Data Architect
(in response to Chan Beauvais)

I appreciate the help - some of those I have already, others will be new additions\

Scott

Michelle Knight

I would suggest the Visual Display of Quantitative Information by Edward Tufte 
The book talks about how to display and retrieve information. This can give some ideas on tools to use and ways to frame information that matches the business purpose. It is a way to get some ideas out of the box.

Michelle Knight

[login to unmask email]

Freelance Production Assistant

Freelance Data, Technology and Science Writer

Brent Beckley

Might I suggest checking out the Data Management series at Morgan & Claypool?  61 books in there. Also have a Data Mining series if applicable.

Jeroen Brink

On data quality Thomas C. Redman's Getting in Front on Data - Who Does What is really a helpful and insightful book, handson, usable for multiple audiences.

Dhiman Shah

I would like to add 'The Data Model Resource Book' by Len Silverston on top of the above recommended books

Edited By:
Dhiman Shah[All DATAVERSITY Members] @ Mar 20, 2020 - 11:03 AM (America/Central)

Helen Welborn

Two things:

1. Someone recommended Tufte: while beautiful, his work seems to serve more as an idea source.  I recommend Hans Goslings graphic work at gapminder.org.  Free resources and easy to use tool.

2. Any effort to build institutional capacity needs serious "change management" elements.  Prosci has good tools; of course there's also John Kotter's fast-to-access books.

Best to you and all!