Is anyone unhappy with a DG Software Tool they've implemented now that you're using it?

Lauren Himml

Is anyone unhappy with a DG Software Tool they've implemented now that you're using it?

We haven't selected a DG platform yet, and selfishly I'm hoping to learn from others' experience. Would love to learn how reality might have differed from what you were expecting, especially in terms of who does/doesn't benefit from the software.

Kristine McNicholas

Yes...want to be proved right or wrong
(in response to Lauren Himml)

Hello - we purchased Collibra as we started our data governance office.  The product was selected for us by a consultant.   Our MDM tool is from Informatica so we would like to research that to find out if it is easier/better to be under a single vendor.   Would like others opinion to keep us with Collibra or move to Informatica.

Hendrik Kotze, CDMP, ICS

RE: Yes...want to be proved right or wrong
(in response to Kristine McNicholas)

Kristine, I recommend you talk to the Informatica account manager to get them to give you a view on the product set as you need to understand your requirements as well as the DG framework and maturity level of the organisation. The tool is not the only answer but in the end it become the backbone of DG programme.

Lauren Himml

RE: Yes...want to be proved right or wrong
(in response to Hendrik Kotze, CDMP, ICS)

Thanks to both of you - and I echo Hendrik that since you've already implemented Collibra DG and Informatica MDM that talking to the provider (Informatica) about solutions to your gaps or current challenges is smart. While we are searching (hoping) for a single platform, it's looking like our best option might be a partnership. The best-in-breed Dictionary/Glossary isn't necessarily the most automated, and the best automated and lineage tools aren't necessarily business-user-friendly. I was hoping to learn about any trouble spots we should be on the lookout for and you've helped. Thanks again!

Joe Danielewicz

RE: Is anyone unhappy with a DG Software Tool they've implemented now that you're using it?

My previous employer used IBM's Information Governance Catalog (IGC) because they used DataStage and Cognos. The IGC contained the business terms that were maintained by the clients. We had to customize the Catalog using OpenIGC, which is IBM's REST API for the IGC.

They had looked at Collibra but it couldn't maintain the IT assets and keep them refreshed.

Eric Dodson

RE: Is anyone unhappy with a DG Software Tool they've implemented now that you're using it?

We are currently using IBM's Information Governance Catalog (IGC) which was combined years ago from separate Business Glossary and Metadata Workbench products. It continues to evolve and I have to say that I am impressed with its capabilities and every new version takes what was already a good solution and improves on it even more. There is a lot of focus in this area. IBM's Watson Knowledge Catalog (WKC) is coming into the picture too, which is exciting, as it appears to combine IGC with even more tools and features, data visualization, and other areas we haven't even explored yet.

Donna Russell

(in response to Eric Dodson)

For those already using IGC can you share some of your best practices.  Did you creating standards, name, classification, labels, etc.  Specifically name standards and classification for Business and Technical terms is of interest to me.