Overlapping Data Governance Programs

Rebekah Pak

Overlapping Data Governance Programs

What is the best way to express how overlapping data governance programs work?

I'd like to illustrate how our Enterprise Data Governance efforts interact with our Functional Data Governance (i.e. HR vs. Production vs. Finance) and our Divisional Data Governance program (we have different divisional offices that have their own individual programs).  It can be confusing to have all 3 working at the same time and I'm not sure if it's better to just write up a narrative, or some sort of flow diagram?  Everyone uses the same DG framework, but I'm not sure if there's a better or worse way to talk about how disparate efforts to govern the same data work.  Anyone have any suggestions or reference articles?  Or even search keywords?

Merrill Albert

RE: Overlapping Data Governance Programs
(in response to Rebekah Pak)

Why are there disparate efforts?  What's being done at the enterprise level vs functional and divisional?

Michelle Knight

Hi Rebekah,

I am wondering if having a cohesive data strategy, from leadership, would help or how this data strategy has been communicated, I think this article on building a cohesive data strategy may be a good one to investigate.

Michelle

Michelle Knight

[login to unmask email]

Freelance Production Assistant

Freelance Data, Technology and Science Writer

William McKnight

What's important is that all data governance functions are covered. However, having pop up data governance across the organization will usually lead to overlap and very different ideas of data governance. I think you need an effort to rationalize data governance. It is very effective in large organizations to have different levels of data governance that address the need at different levels - executives tackle the big issues, managerial level tackle the subject area issues and analyst level at the day to day. Do this soon or the whole thing may be not only inefficient but ineffective. Also every day, the different groups are becoming more accustomed to their way of doing governance and becoming less flexible. Everyone involved may need to be flexible to get this to a better state. Good luck.