How to share a team's good data management and with the rest of the organization, aligning data strategy?

Michelle Knight

How to share a team's good data management and with the rest of the organization, aligning data strategy?

Authors noted in a recent DATAVERSITY Trends in Data Management 2019 report that data management develops in stages across the enterprise, from different teams and departments. When a team does good Data Management how this be promoted to the rest of the company, aligning data strategy? Is this under the role of a CDO?

The main goal here is to get all the different organizational units in synch with best data management practices rather than to have a different team in the same company reinvent the wheel and enterprise data strategy falls out of alignment.

Ray Diaz, CBIP, CDP, CSM, ICP-ATF

RE: How to share a team's good data management and with the rest of the organization, aligning data strategy?
(in response to Michelle Knight)

Michelle, each organization has to determine how to implement their data strategy and most don't even have a CDO position, that being said, the Data Governance program creates the operating model of how the strategy is executed and the subsequent data management practices are implemented. 

Michelle Knight

RE: How to share a team's good data management and with the rest of the organization, aligning data strategy?
(in response to Ray Diaz, CBIP, CDP, CSM, ICP-ATF)

Thank you Ray, I had thought for some that data strategy seems to come after the project is done. There is a project or team that works well and then data strategy is constructed sort of  ad-hoc. So, the challenge is how to make data strategy cohesive when data management practices may very well not align throughout the organization. Data Governance is a crucial piece of the picture. But, but I am wondering about the other piece. For those who are large organizations isnt a CDO critical to aligning everything? I could see in a startup or a small office where it is easier to ask a colleague. With lots of people though, I would think someone needs to be charge.

Tarun Goel, Senior Manager

(in response to Michelle Knight)

Michelle,

Roles for data leadership are still evolving, ownership of implementing a unified data strategy across the organization may fall under CIO, CDO or COO as well in some industries. A CDO driven organization definitely reflects a strategic focus towards implementing thorough data governance practices however it may not be a limitation towards a successful data governance program. Having said that, it is important to ensure commitment from relevant business units towards the data strategy roadmap, usually a strong program management with line of sight to CEO's helps to track and monitor the successful implementation of data strategy roadmap.

Regards,

Tarun 

Michelle Knight

(in response to Tarun Goel, Senior Manager)

Ok, it sounds like companies are trying to figure out data leadership. From what I am reading an executive, that is accepted as an authority figure in an organization, needs to take charge of enterprise-wide data, to give back up and authority to data governance program. I think an executive is more likely to have the CEO's ear in most organizations. I would caution in putting a CIO or COO in charge of moving organziational data strategy forward. A CIO is a  go-to executive for enterprise IT concerns, according to a ZDNet article. I think business units, in general, would not feel heard or that the CIO would skip over people and processes, needed to implement the Data Strategy. I think a COO manages how data s used by the business. However, that is different from managing data, where there is a technical piece, and overseeing data governance. Plus a COO may have a short term data strategy but may miss out on the competitive or newer data trends coming down the pipeline. For example, he or she may be more likely to support a system in place than experiment with data science to look for new opportunities. A CDO has the advantage of communicating between IT and business and handle the politics within the view of the larger data strategy. So I think someone with a CDO skill set, whatever it is called, is necessary, because of the communication skills, political savvy, and technical understanding he or she brings to the table. A good CDO type lessens the risk of one of the other business units or IT will fall out of synch with the data strategy.

Edited By:
Michelle Knight[All DATAVERSITY Members] @ Oct 20, 2019 - 11:33 AM (America/Pacific)