DATA SCIENCE - A SIGN OF THE TIMES by W H Inmon

Ray Diaz, CBIP, CDP, CSM, ICP-ATF

DATA SCIENCE - A SIGN OF THE TIMES by W H Inmon

An excellent post by Bill Inmon DATA SCIENCE - A SIGN OF THE TIMES.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/data-science-sign-times-w-h-inmon-bill-inmon

My response:

Bill, love the quote you provided that tells the dirty little secret about the dark world of analytics. Every organization wants to jump to the elegant shiny objects of visualizations, prescriptive and predictive analytics, AI - Machine Learning, Deep Learning, and automation without paying the price of the disciple and design to provide clean and well-managed data as the source of these high-level capabilities.

“The reality is that I spend 95% of my time accessing, cleansing, and preparing data. I only get to use my mathematical knowledge very infrequently. Instead of being a statistician, I should have been a data garbageman. Because that is what I really do.” - Data Scientist 

Without a strong data governance program and operationalized data management that includes metadata management, data quality management, and solid data architecture, these high-level capabilities of turning data assets into real actionable wisdom is a nightmare of inaccurate information, a multitude of support issues, and bad decision making.

Edited By:
Ray Diaz, CBIP, CDP, CSM, ICP-ATF[All DATAVERSITY Members] @ Oct 01, 2019 - 10:03 AM (America/Eastern)

Michelle Knight

RE: DATA SCIENCE - A SIGN OF THE TIMES by W H Inmon
(in response to Ray Diaz, CBIP, CDP, CSM, ICP-ATF)

Thank you, Ray, for pointing out an excellent article. 

I agree and would argue that what may be considered good data in one situation may be useless in another. Businesses must have a strong data strategy feeding data governance implementations including metadata management, data quality management, and good data architecture. This provides data trust and eliminates any variables. Some companies are starting to understand and act on this, as CEMEX.

In addition, businesses will discover that data analysis is situation dependent and that the known good may change due to anomalies. For example, let us say I am running a coffee shop and want to track my customer's spending habits.  I can analyze sales and customer satisfaction over a period of time and get some information as long as the context changes little or within the variability I predict.

However, if my coffee shop is along the beach and in a hurricane path, the environmental business variability is not clear. With climate change, the hurricane severity and frequency increasing, I don't have much data as to how quick this will change to a new “normal, how much I will need to change my current analytic methodology due to new variability, and how   the data will be impacted by the assumptions of the past business environment I knew.  I do not know how long this new normal will continue. Somehow, I need to adapt my business intelligence and analytical methodology to cope with contexts that may continue to change very quickly and for an unknown length of time.  

So, getting good data and minimizing garbage is a must. The organizations that have or are doing this are in a better place to do the next step, adjust BI and Data Science predictions to handle unknown business context variability.

Nitin Garg, CEO & C0-Founder

RE: DATA SCIENCE - A SIGN OF THE TIMES by W H Inmon
(in response to Ray Diaz, CBIP, CDP, CSM, ICP-ATF)

Thank you Ray

Artificial Intelligence Development Company

Business Intelligence Services