Is graph database the same as no-sql database

Matt Zand

Is graph database the same as no-sql database

I am a programmer and I  have done many works in SQL-based database design and development. However, in last two years, I have started using No-SQL database design using MongoDB. Recently, I an hearing about graph databases.

As a developer, I wonder if graph is different than no-SQL database. What is most popular open source platform like MySQL and MongoDB for graph database development

Matt Zand
Work: 240-200-6131

Eric Schiller

RE: Is graph database the same as no-sql database
(in response to Matt Zand)

Graph databases are a TYPE of NoSQL database,  in that they're not traditionally relational row based databases with an enforced schema, but they're also a very different animal than something like MongoDB.  What you've been working with is called a document store database because it is aimed at doing just that -- usually storing JSON (and some do XML) documents as their primary focus.  What goes in those documents is often more fluid as is how they are connected, if at all.

Graph databases do also store individual entities with basic fields holding data -- nodes -- just like a document database, but the main difference is that the relationships between them (edges) are what we care about most.  Good examples tend to be a network of people (each person is a node) and you label how they're connected (edges have labels like spouse, sibling, etc.)  or a map of roads or airline paths.

Any time you've ever worked on something like the Seven Bridges of Konigsberg, Traveling Salesman, Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, Erdos number, etc. you're working with a graph, and probably something that makes sense to put into a graph database.

Note that this is a property graph, which is what I see more often as a graph database.  Semantic graphs are a bit different, and also getting hot, but definitely a little deeper to look into if you're starting out on this path.  

Neo4j is the most common one, which has some open source features, but outside of local projects, isn't free.  Apache Gremlin has some variants as well.

In Reply to Matt Zand:

I am a programmer and I  have done many works in SQL-based database design and development. However, in last two years, I have started using No-SQL database design using MongoDB. Recently, I an hearing about graph databases.

As a developer, I wonder if graph is different than no-SQL database. What is most popular open source platform like MySQL and MongoDB for graph database development

Matt Zand
Work: 240-200-6131

Michelle Knight

(in response to Eric Schiller)

Thank you, Eric.

Michelle Knight

(in response to Matt Zand)

Hi Matt,

I am checking to see that you got the information you needed. DATAVERSITY published an overview of graph databases last month.

See the Internet of Things  for an example of a  graph database and for what you can do.

Michelle