Three Words I Hate to Hear

Anthony J Algmin

Three Words I Hate to Hear

As a consultant I often witness push back, skepticism, excuses for why it can't be done--the list goes on and on. But there are three words I hate to hear more than anything:

"I'm not technical."

This to me is like wanting to be a race car driver with no knowledge of how to fix a car. As data professionals, we must always be willing to dive deeper and build our understanding. Sure, the first time we pop the hood we may not know what everything is or what to do about it--but soon we'll be much further along than if we had never tried.

So I gave you mine--what are your three words you hate to hear?

Anthony J. Algmin
[login to unmask email]
Go Make an Impact!

Ray Diaz, CBIP, CDP, CSM, ICP-ATF

RE: Three Words I Hate to Hear
(in response to Anthony J Algmin)

"It Won't Work."

Especially when they say that without hearing the whole solution. 

Gail McAuliffe, M.Sc -CIM

Always this way. One of my pet peeves: the idea that because, "we've always done it this way", we should keep doing it the same way. 

Aaron Fuller

"Not the time," or "not the right time." When an organization knows is has to do a hard thing and the sooner the better, but they just don't have the bravery to proceed.

Aaron Fuller, CBIP

Founder & Principal Consultant

Superior Data Strategies 

517-803-0714

superiordatastrategies.com

<a href="https://www.superiordatastra

Phil Henderson

"It's Too Political"

Usually means that there will be extra time trying to deliver this project.

Edited By:
Phil Henderson[All DATAVERSITY Members] @ May 17, 2019 - 02:08 PM (America/Pacific)

William McKnight

Nice one Anthony. We could have a thread dedicated to those 3 words. As a consultant, I may be there because of those 3 words.

For my 3 words, I'll say...

Cloud is Insecure

Agile's for Software

Already Tried That

Don't Care if there's ROI (sorry, 5 words)

Out of Office (like they're going somewhere where they can't reply to an email)

Not Ready Yet

User's Not Asking

Anthony J Algmin

(in response to William McKnight)

William - You have some classics in there, for sure! Reminded me of one of the GOATs of this topic: "Not my job!" LOL

Anthony J. Algmin
[login to unmask email]
Go Make an Impact!

Visit Algmin Data Leadership today!

Fiona Beatty

RE: Three Words I Hate to Hear - BTTWIADI
(in response to Gail McAuliffe, M.Sc -CIM)

I call this the BTTWIADI effect - 'But that's the way I've always done it!!'

People dislike change and one of our greatest challenges is change management, helping people along the journey of change so that we can implement new approaches. Always develop your WIIFM early to help them buy in. :)

Lynnda Atkins

RE: Three Words I Hate to Hear - BTTWIADI
(in response to Fiona Beatty)

I work for a company where we are combining two companies system, process etc into a new ERP and a quote by Russell Ackoff was recently circulated and I thought it was worth remembering "The only thing more difficult than starting something new in an organisation is stopping something old"  I am a BIG fan decommission old stuff so there is no choice.

Robert S Seiner

Command-and-Control - These 3 words describe the worst approach you can take to implement a formal Data Governance program. It is the difference between "you will do this" (4 words and invasive data governance), "you should do this" (4 words and traditional data governance) and "you are already doing this" (5 words and non-invasive data governance). Which approach do you follow? How has it worked out for you?

Robert S. Seiner - KIK Consulting & Educational Services

Edited By:
Robert S Seiner[All DATAVERSITY Members] @ Jun 17, 2019 - 05:50 PM (America/Eastern)

Gary Jordan

"We'll document later"

This guarantees the next people won't have any idea what you did.

Gary Jordan

Sr Principal Business Data Analyst

Red Hat

919-210-3078

Jeff Albro

(in response to Gary Jordan)

"We do waterfall"

I was in a meeting with a project manager on a data ingestion project. I asked why don't we break the requirements down into stages and get something simple working.  I was told that they had the resources now so they were going to go for the maximum scope while they had the resources.

-Jeff

Thomas King

More than 3 words, but "Just get it working, we'll fix it right later."

Inevitably later comes and more changes are needed, but it wasn't fixed right, so the new changes take twice as long to implement.

John Szabo

"I don't understand"

"Cost's too much"

Tough trying to work up the Org Chart to explain the importance of Clean and Consistent Master Data.

Bud Uyeda

"Not invented here." I know, nobody actually says it. And those who harbor the bias may not even be consciously aware of it. 

Gail McAuliffe, M.Sc -CIM

(in response to Jeff Albro)

Maximum scope means that much of the scope will no longer be required once the waterfall project is eventually implemented!

Scott Benson

(in response to Gail McAuliffe, M.Sc -CIM)

"Always this way".  I cheated - it really should be "But we've always done it this way" (in a whining tone)