What are people's preferred BI tool? Why do you prefer it?

Matthew David

Laura Lucht

RE: What are people's preferred BI tool? Why do you prefer it?
(in response to Matthew David)

I don't have a preferred BI tool, because I've only used one, but the visualizations in Microsoft's Power BI tool are pretty good. We're just beginning to use it now, and still loading our data and building out preferred reporting. I'd love to hear what others prefer, or if anyone has tips for us using Power BI successfully.

I did find this article about the top BI tools according to Erin Gilliam interesting: Top 15 BI Tools

Heather Strode

We purchased Qlik Sense as our organizational reporting tool about a year ago.  We also began building our data warehouse at about the same time.  It works well for BI but as with any tool, I would recommend making sure that your data is in order prior to releasing it to the organization, especially if you are using multiple tools or plan to release it for self service BI to avoid differences in common data elements.  Overall, Qlik has started to serve its purpose and it is easy for our end users, once the master items and data governance rules are established behind the scenes.  

Ray Diaz, CBIP, CDP, CSM, ICP-ATF

I like and use Tableau because of its support in the community and vendors.

Also use Microsoft Power BI, its easy to use, includes modeling, and can add visualizations from a marketplace. Both of these are very good for visualizations.

If you need a big BI system for operational reporting, events reporting,  then latest IBM Cognos 11 suite has just about everything. It's big and complex, but can meet big enterprise needs. 

Edited By:
Ray Diaz, CBIP, CDMP, CSM[All DATAVERSITY Members] @ May 15, 2019 - 12:07 PM (America/Eastern)

Sarah Sena, MSOL

(in response to Laura Lucht)

Thanks for the link! That is great info,

Sarah.

Paolo Bouquet

If you are interested in data investigation / knowledge discovery, I also found very useful the Siren platform by https://siren.io/ The key feature is that you can deploy a multi-dashboard solution where each dashboard is connected to a different index (or source) and then create what they call "federated joins" to connect the different dashboards. This gives you two key advantages:

- a lot of flexibility in data exploration and saves a lot of time in pre-designing navigation patterns in your data;

- less constraint if you want to add a data source

In our company we have used it in several projects, and I must say that people were quite impressed by results. 

--

Paolo Bouquet

University of Trento & OKKAM srl

Mobile: +393356006338

Edwin Chuy

I wouldn't call it preferred, but I have been using Power BI for 2 years and have been able to learn to use well enough that I have convinced the higher ups that we should develop a solution using it to manage the inventory classification and reordering process with some significant improvements over what was created using Excel. Basically, my idea is to create a report that would show dashboards with data of interest for quick insights and immediate decisions.

I do love the fact I have a whole community of users and developers that are willing to share their knowledge about the tool to help me solve challenges that present themselves as I use it.

Edited By:
Edwin Chuy[All DATAVERSITY Members] @ Jun 24, 2019 - 10:11 AM (America/Pacific)

Jose Mari Taleno

(in response to Edwin Chuy)

I prefer Looker because of its dedicated semantic model (LookML), flexible environments and git integration. However, I didn't get the support due to upfront cost given that we are just starting the data team. So we had Tableau which comes with subscription model that makes it look cheaper until we need to purchase licenses for our viewers. As I use Tableau even more, I realized that it has given me more flexibility when it comes to designing beautiful dashboards that Looker lacks.