Data Strategy Vs information Strategy

Carson McCarthy

Data Strategy Vs information Strategy

Hi, I am just wondering if anyone has come across the issue of defining a Data Strategy vs Information Strategy. Are these typically written as one overall strategy or separated? Also does anyone know any good references defining out the differences?

Carson M.

Carol McGrath

RE: Data Strategy Vs information Strategy
(in response to Carson McCarthy)

I see them as two different things so think you could have two different strategies.

Definitions on both come from First San Francisco Partners article:

Information Management is an organizational program that manages the people, processes and technology that provide control over the structure, processing, delivery and usage of information required for management and business intelligence purposes.

Information, as we know it today, includes both electronic and physical information. The organizational structure must be capable of managing this information throughout its life cycle — regardless of source or format (data, paper documents, electronic documents, audio, video, etc.) for delivery through multiple channels that may include mobile phones and online.

Data Management is a subset of Information Management. It comprises all disciplines related to managing data as a valuable, organizational resource. Specifically, it’s the process of creating, obtaining, transforming, sharing, protecting, documenting and preserving data.

https://www.firstsanfranciscopartners.com/blog/difference-between-information-management-data-management/

Carol McGrath

(in response to Carol McGrath)

I found this a great resource for things to consider when creating a data strategy.

https://www.eckerson.com/articles/how-to-create-a-data-strategy-part-1-overview

There is a great cookbook resource you can download

https://www.eckerson.com/register?content=data-strategy-guidebook-what-every-executive-needs-to-know

Shannon Kempe

We don't have that topic specifically yet, but working on it. Here's some additional resources:

Carson McCarthy

Hi Carol,

Thank you for the information. It was definitely a help! 

Carson M.

Jose Mari Taleno

Thank you for sharing this cookbook about Data Strategy! I'm just on the first few pages and it is really engaging!

Cindy Niquette

(in response to Carson McCarthy)

It's a matter of semantics, isn't it? For many it's a very subtle difference and when we see the use of the term "data strategy", it tends to be all encompassing.

I happen to believe that the semantics are actually quite important and therefore important to draw a distinction ... when we look at the primary function of each (data vs information), we can easily see that distinction in fact.

However, easily seen or not, the words we use convey so much more than what it appears to on the surface and have the power to drive thoughts, attitudes and strategic transformation. A Data Strategy may certainly mean to cover the "information" aspect, but just using the word data immediately conveys a technical feeling and is often driven by the technical side of the house (c-suite or not). Information, on the other hand is softer and should have a strong focus on context, semantics ... overall data intelligence to give every data citizen "... the power to use data to solve problems, implement ideas, and grow businesses.” ~Felix Van de Maele