Terms of Reference for a Data Governance Council

Luke Gibbon

Terms of Reference for a Data Governance Council

Hi All, I am in the process of writing up a proposal for a data governance council. At present, this will exist within one function (HR) and only serve that function (but may well have cross functional representation) as there is not the enterprise level drive at the moment. I am looking for any recommendations for good research sources, white papers, models etc which I can use to inform my design. Any help would be appreciated. Kind Regards

Edited By:
Luke Gibbon[All DATAVERSITY Members] @ Feb 27, 2019 - 12:33 PM (GMT)

William McKnight

RE: Terms of Reference for a Data Governance Council
(in response to Luke Gibbon)

Do you need a council for HR data, or just a data steward? If you start with a council for HR data, by the time you get to customer and product data, you'll have 20+ cats to herd for DG. It's not sustainable. Just get some commitment from the best HR data SME to arbitrate the transformation rules,  enter data or determine data population method, verifying the data, contribution  the business metadata, approve new users, support the user community on the data, participate on the any steering committee related to data and generally be responsible for HR data quality from the business side. Do this while you build the momentum for a council. 

Ray Diaz, CBIP, CDP, CSM, ICP-ATF

I could not agree more with Willam McKnight, starting with councils are really a tough place to start, especially if you are talking about a single domain. 

Many of us have found that councils are places of lots of talking and very little action. If Governance is not leading to acting on data management then it's really wasting resources and not providing much value. 

I prefer a Data Governance 2.0 approach. Data Governance 2.0, as defined by Forrester, “an agile approach to data governance focused on just enough controls for managing risk, which enables broader and more insightful use of data required by the evolving needs of an expanding business ecosystem.” 

Edited By:
Ray Diaz, CBIP, CDMP, CSM[All DATAVERSITY Members] @ Apr 18, 2019 - 02:33 PM (America/Eastern)

Merrill Albert

The problem with having a Council for 1 function is that you can only realistically govern data solely generated and used in that function.  If you use data that originates elsewhere or send data elsewhere, you need to be talking to those other functions too.  And then it becomes an enterprise-wide Council, which it needs to be to be the most effective.