"Data Governance" vs "Data Management"

william burkett

"Data Governance" vs "Data Management"

I hope you all don't mind me "thinking out loud" here to try and clarify questions that come up in my mind regarding data management.  This question compliments another question of mine regarding data governance.

I'm almost through reading the DM-BOK 2.0 and am halfway through the Data Management Organization chapter.  The author(s) of this chapter clearly make a distinction between a "Data Governance Organization/Function" and a "Data Management Organization/Function".  In my mind - and this is where it relates to the "little" and "big" data governance thread - I've considered two to be the same - "Data Governance" is just a shortened form of "Data Management Governance", that they mean the same thing.  

So I'd like to the get the input from some SMEs: Is there a difference between the two?  And if so, what's the differentia?  

thx - Bill Burkett

Luke Gibbon

RE: "Data Governance" vs "Data Management"
(in response to william burkett)

****EDIT****

Having reread your question, you were asking about the difference between Data Management Governance and Data Governance. Can't say I have ever heard of it referenced to as Data Management Governance. Would be intrigued to see what response you get. On a linked note - Would you recommend DBOK 2.0?

Hi Bill,

In my mind, there are significant differences between Data Management and Data Governance.

I see data management as being the the operational activities, and data governance being the strategic and tactical approach to assessing the data management process. Data Governance would be the design of an an approach whereas Data Management would be the delivery of a process.

Thinking about how this exists within a business, I have always found that data governance best sits as a singular entity at a corporate/enterprise level and is federated down to the relevant parts of the organisation, with data stewards sitting in the business, but with a dotted line up to the corporate/enterprise level. One data governance approach may serve many data management processes. These processes need to be separate and different to best serve their specific customer need, but they share the higher level commonality via frameworks, principles, policies and assurances practices. For smaller organisations, the 'data governor' and 'data manager' may be the same person, but very much as a double hatted role and with clear separation of roles and responsibilities.

In keeping the two processes, and roles separate, we avoid data management becoming self serving.

I recently read a good article on Jeff Bezo's "Day 1" Philosophy

Article here

There was a useful quote:

"it becomes easy to rely on process rather than the result. In that case, the process becomes "the thing". When that happens, sometimes companies stop looking at outcomes and only consider whether they have followed the process correctly, not whether the desired outcome was achieved."

As always, tailoring is the key to getting data governance and data management right. What is right for one organisation, may not be right for another. Rather than 'the right approach' we need 'the right approach for our business'.

Edited By:
Luke Gibbon[All DATAVERSITY Members] @ Feb 19, 2019 - 12:52 PM (GMT)

william burkett

(in response to Luke Gibbon)

Thanks for the response, Luke.  I get what you're saying and the difference makes sense.  But there is a little fine line I'm trying to get clear on and "Data Management Governance" dances around that line.  Perhaps I should have used the term "Governance of Data Management Functions" instead.    Isn't the responsibility for "governing data management functions/activities" one of a Data Governance organization's responsibilities?

wrt your question about the DM-BOK 2.0: Short answer, Yes.   Long answer: there are many ways to slice and dice the functions that comprise enterprise data management and DAMA's DM-BOK is just one.  While I disagree with many of the details in the book, I think the large-grained structure of enterprise data management is great and is an excellent starting point and framework with which to view EDM.

Robert S Seiner

Great question Bill. Let me try to answer it for you.

Data Management is made up of an assortment of "knowledge areas" or "data disciplines" as I prefer to call them. Refer to the DAMA wheel to articulate the disciplines. That's a great place to start.These disciplines include data modeling, data quality, data security, data integration, metadata … and on and on.

Data Governance is just one of the disciplines that are mentioned in the DAMA wheel. BUT … Data Governance sits in the center of their model. And there is a reason for that. Data Governance focuses on assuring that people's behavior is in the best interest of the organization. My webinar guest next month, Len Silverston, once told me that it should be called "People Governance" rather than "Data Governance". 

I hope this helps. Anybody disagree?

Robert S. Seiner

KIK Consulting & Educational Services

The Data Administration Newsletter (TDAN.com)

[login to unmask email]  @RSeiner  @TDAN_com

Edited By:
Robert S Seiner[All DATAVERSITY Members] @ Feb 21, 2019 - 04:02 PM (America/Eastern)

william burkett

(in response to Robert S Seiner)

Thank, Bob - I do agree with you and I am getting a lot clearer on the distinction.  

Let me pose one more direct question: As a "data discipline", do the responsibilities of Data Governance include governing other data management disciplines?   Your/Len's "People Governance" observation would suggest that the answer is Yes.

Metaphorically, "data management" are the production line functions and "data governance" is the Front Office function responsible for the policy, direction, monitoring, enforcement, resources,  budgeting, and decision-making required to get and keep the production line going.  

Bill

Robert S Seiner

If people are responsible for making each of the data disciplines successful … then I think the answer is yes. And perhaps :) that is why DAMA made Data Governance central to their disciplines.

Jeff Wolkove, CPA-CA (Can)

Hi Bill,

For another perspective, CMMI's Data Management Maturity Model breaks data management down into 25 practice areas, and there are elements of governance in each practice area. Governance is central to all DM functions. I prefer the term Data Management, as it's more inclusive.

Jeff Wolkove, CPA-CA (Canada)

Arizona State Data Management Architect

Ray Diaz, CBIP, CDP, CSM, ICP-ATF

The simple definitions to communicate the differences are:

Data Governance is the overlying structure that provides guidance for managing data. Governance provides the methods that increase the value of data assets to better meet business goals and objectives.

Data Management provides the execution disciplines of how data assets are operationalized and used to support the business strategy.

I use this description for the program: "The ultimate goal of a Data Governance program is to manage data for the purpose of providing trustworthy, timely, and relevant information to support informed business decisions."

I created a pyramid diagram with People, Processes, Technologies in the center. Under the pyramid I use the line "Not a project, more than a program – a lifestyle."

Also created a matrix to describe the Relationship Between Data Governance and Data Management to map the Data Governance capabilities to the Data Management Knowledge Areas.