Policy vs. Standard vs. Procedure

Diana Stout, MBA

Policy vs. Standard vs. Procedure
Hi everyone! I am the only DG person at my company (and it is not the only hat I wear), but I am at the point where I have C-suite buy-in. I have created a DG Council (managers/directors/decision makers) and I have also identified my Data Stewards (SME's and data workers). I have written my DG Charter and I am in process on getting approval signatures on it. My next step is to start creating policies, procedures, and standards. I am hoping people are willing to share... 1. How do you decide whether to create policy, procedure, or standard? 2. How often do you review them? 3. How many do you have? 4. Would anyone be willing to share a list of the different policies, procedures, and standards they manage? 5. Would anyone be willing to share some of their documents to help me figure out how to write mine? I am not sure how formal to make them, how complicated/simple, etc. Thank you in advance for any info, opinions, or docs anyone is willing to share!! -Diana

Matt Chau

RE: Policy vs. Standard vs. Procedure
(in response to Diana Stout, MBA)

Hi Diana,

I'll try to reply to your questions in general and as a whole. In my company each of those words carry a certain connotation in terms of an applicable level and job roles they apply to. I would advise that you tier them. For ex: Policy=highest level 3 yrs renewal period; Standard = 2nd highest 1 year renewal; Procedure=lowest level and detailed quarterly or semi-annual renewal/review.

The level of detail and amount should match the tier. You want enough to be effective and have coverage of the areas you need. For the initial round I would keep the documents relatively few and sped the majority of my time socializing them and getting the business to understand their impact. This is the make or break point, from my experience.

Mark Stockwell

RE: Policy vs. Standard vs. Procedure
(in response to Diana Stout, MBA)

In Reply to Diana Stout, MBA:

Hi everyone! I am the only DG person at my company (and it is not the only hat I wear), but I am at the point where I have C-suite buy-in. I have created a DG Council (managers/directors/decision makers) and I have also identified my Data Stewards (SME's and data workers). I have written my DG Charter and I am in process on getting approval signatures on it. My next step is to start creating policies, procedures, and standards. I am hoping people are willing to share... 1. How do you decide whether to create policy, procedure, or standard? 2. How often do you review them? 3. How many do you have? 4. Would anyone be willing to share a list of the different policies, procedures, and standards they manage? 5. Would anyone be willing to share some of their documents to help me figure out how to write mine? I am not sure how formal to make them, how complicated/simple, etc. Thank you in advance for any info, opinions, or docs anyone is willing to share!! -Diana
Hi Diana, great to hear you are making progress with your program, establishing your communities and accountability structure will be key to your success moving forward.
Getting agreement around what is a Policy, Procedure, Standard are a good use case to put in front of your DG Council.  Identify who is the Data Governor responsible for creating and managing these terms, establishing the rules for use and managing adherence (with the support of their Data Steward) moving forward.  As the sole DG pro in your org right now you will need to leverage your accountability structure effectively to get work done.  I work in Healthcare so we have 100's of Policies, Procedures, Guidelines and Standards, we determined that accountability and governance for these terms fell into our Accreditation Domain, our Dir Quality and Accreditation is the Data Governor and the Data Steward is our Supervisor of Quality Mgmt.  They used industry guidelines to develop initial definitions and usage guidelines, presented them to our DG Council, reviewed and refined and published to our Business Glossary.  I have attached a doc that presents some definitions for the terms you had interest in.  You may want to consider creating a handbook that provides guidance on the creation of these items with examples.  Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

• Mark Stockwell Policy Procedure Standards Guidelines Protocols.pdf (284.9k)